One of the first things I wanted to make was a string of bunting flags for Emmas room. The very same girl was poorly this week, so whilst I was off work with her, I decided to use her nap times to make a start on this project:
These were the material rectangles that I started with:
1. I folded each rectangle in half lengthways, and ruled a line almost corner to corner. I knew I was going to sew a hem on each triangle hence I didn't go fully corner to corner. Once the hem was stitched it would be a true triangle.
2. These are my piles of 'triangles'. I did 15 (3 triangles x 5 designs).
3. This is what one triangle looks like when unfolded.
4. I then pinned a hem on all the flags into the triangle shape
5. I then tacked each flag before sewing them neatly along each tacked edge using my sewing machine.
6. Once I had sewn all the flags, I unrolled the tape I was using to hold the flags. Mine was 2m long and cost about £2-3 from John Lewis. With the tape on the floor, I played around with the placement of the flags. I decided that 9 flags was about right with a 2m length. I found the middle of the tape and placed the middle flag in that position. Working out to either side, I placed the other flags on the tape leaving a 2 inch gap between each flag. I finished with a longer length of tape at the ends to allow for knotting/hanging.
7. Happy with my flag placement, I pinned the flags in place before sewing them properly.
I'm very, very happy with the finished result!